Arbitrum Offsite format: online vs IRL

Ignas, thanks for your comment.

I would generally want to include as many voices as possible (we’re working on tooling to enable this in DAO’s btw, so I do mean it). That being said, here the objective is to define priorities and be able to make those explicit so the DAO can rally and focus on things that do stand a chance of getting approved in governance. (we saw how previous GovHack winners haven’t been approved on governance, and most proposals fail, so we’re trying to address that).

The risk of including more voices (especially those who are new, have less context, and are less trusted by the delegates) is that the extra people make it harder for the group to converge, and can have very valid opinions but ultimately those without token delegation are not the ones who decide.
It’s a lot easier to agree on something in a group of 3 than in a group of 9, and A LOT easier than in a group of 60+. So keeping a smaller group makes it easier to find agreement.

So the idea here has been more about leveraging those who the token holders have entrusted to decide on their behalf (i.e. the delegates), and a few key people who have been very engaged and are by now well known by the delegates, so we can quickly make some decisions and unstuck the DAO.

Having a clear strategy will then enable many others to get more involved in concrete initiatives, and for the next cycle, we can include more people who by then have a lot more context, trust, etc.

That being said, the process can also be made to include mechanisms to collect broader input and feedback. (and I do plan to include those), but the core discussion group is not designed to be as big as possible but to be as effective as possible (while still being very legitimately a representation of the chose governance model i.e. decisions by delegates).

Note that the gov model could be changed in the future if delegates is not what is desired (I have often mentioned the issues with the current gov model). However, the offsite is not meant to be a constitutional proposal, that’s a way bigger scope and not one I’m tackling right now but those who feel called to are welcome to open up that conversation.

And if you feel you can significantly contribute to the discussion, I do invite you to share why and I’ll do my best to put this in front of the delegates so they can decide.

1 Like