GovHack Devcon in Bangkok - Hack Humanity

DAOplomats is voting in favor of this proposal on Snapshot.

We are not so pleased with the ‘underspending comparatively’ motivation but the previous two iterations of GovHack have had good impact to the community so we are willing to support at this stage.

Quick question:

what would this robust follow-up process look like? Also, would it be time-bound to four weeks like the post GovHack support programme?

Blockworks Research will be voting AGAINST the proposal in the temperature check on Snapshot.

We appreciate the thought and effort it took to create this proposal, as well as prior proposals. We think that it might be best to revisit this topic after further discussion within the Entropy proposal.

I voted FOR this proposal for the reasons outlined below. I appreciate the leaner approach and think it’s worth giving GovHack another shot at Devcon.

I am voting ABSTAIN on this proposal

I share the directional support for GovHack, as gathering people IRL for governance discussions is crucial, especially in high signal events like these.
However, I echo concerns raised by others:

• the timing in relation to the main event is a major ask to obtain a meaningful participation;
  • the lack of well-defined KPIs, especially after past experiences, whilst on paper rich, didn’t return any actionable item yet

I’d be more supportive of an Arbitrum DAO Day during Devcon for broader visibility and more compatibility with participation.

Gauntlet provided feedback to Klaus’s initial proposal that this style of proposal is better handled by a committee or framework as the DAO looks to operationalize its marketing and growth capabilities. Moving forward, we expect the ADPC and other DAO stakeholders (Entropy, Arbitrum Foundation, etc.) to help provide a framework for these types of events.

That said, DevCon is around the corner, and the aforementioned infrastructure is not yet ready to support a DevCon activation for Arbitrum DAO. After much deliberation, Gauntlet has decided to vote For the GovHack proposal in the Snapshot stage. GovHacks have a proven ability to bring visibility to the DAO. We’d like to see Hack Humanity continue to improve upon previous GovHack iterations in Thailand.

1 Like

Gm, gm :sparkles:

The results are in for the GovHack Devcon in Bangkok - Hack Humanity off-chain proposal.

See how the community voted and more Arbitrum stats:

The Treasure ARC has voted in favor of this proposal for the GovHack event in Bangkok. Previous GovHack events, while receiving some calls for improvement have overall been deemed a success. There is the necessary experience among the hosts required to hold events such as these and the feedback that was given previously has been taken on board. Especially interesting is the pre and post event structure, ensuring that the energy is not lost immediately after the IRL event. We hope that the Hack Humanity team and Arbitrum DAO can make use of ongoing GovHacks to push forward governance initiatives across the board and look forward to hearing of the results from this event.

We also want to highlight that, following the Treasure Community’s approval of TIP-44: Launching Treasure L2 on ZKsync, our involvement in Arbitrum Governance will conclude. As such, this proposal represents one of our final contributions in a delegate capacity within Arbitrum.

2 Likes

Voting for.

This should go through a broader structure but given nothing is set up, that should not be a blocker for immediate implementation in Bangkok.

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you to everyone who commented and engaged with useful feedback to help shape the iterations of this proposal over the last month. Thank you to all those who voted.

After a long and considered conversation between the Hack Humanity team over the weekend, we are choosing to withdraw our proposal for GovHack at Devcon and will not be going to Tally at this time.

There are a number of factors that contribute to this decision: timing, risks, many other conditions; we don’t feel it’s right to proceed.
For now, this is a short announcement so people are aware.
I will write a subsequent post that will go to the forum explaining the decision in detail this week.

8 Likes

Below are the opinions of the UADP:

We voted For both the snapshot and the onchain vote here. Generally, we’re more in favor of a long-term, structured approach, as opposed to one where events are planned and paid for ad hoc. However, due to the impending deadline for setting up the event for Devcon, we thought passing this proposal, as was done with Eth CC, was the right move. We are curious to hear further communications from Klaus and team regarding the decision to cancel this proposal.

1 Like

Very sad to hear that. I was so excited about GovHack. One of the main reasons I decided to attend DevCon. Too bad.

Since most of the active delegates will be there, should we still organize some kind of a non-formal meetup for Arbitrum DAO?

1 Like

Vote: FOR

Type and Proposal Link: Snapshot –> GovHack Devcon in Bangkok - Hack Humanity

Voting Rationale Link: Alex Lumley (Savvy DAO) Delegate Communication Thread - #24 by AlexLumley

=== COMMENTING ON PROPOSAL: ===

I am voting FOR this proposal because I believe that events like GovHack provide a unique opportunity for fostering collaboration, innovation, and governance within the DAO. While the concerns around budgeting and the impact of past events are valid, I think the long-term benefits of bringing delegates together, especially in an in-person setting, far outweigh the challenges. The addition of the post-event follow-up process also addresses one of the previous weaknesses by ensuring continuity and implementation of the outcomes.

The concerns about timing and overlapping with other events, like Devcon, should be taken into account in future planning to avoid fragmenting the audience, but I believe this event still has the potential to deliver strong value.

Voted FOR - it’s a shame that this may not happen due to resource / other conflicts, but I do think directionally we should look to create as much opportunities to engage the DAO at in-person events.

Thank you for your transparency and for keeping everyone in the loop, @KlausBrave .

It’s clear that a lot of thought and care went into this decision, and while it’s undoubtedly tough to step back after so much hard work, your commitment to doing what’s right for the project and the community is commendable.

I appreciate the effort and consideration that went into the proposal and all the valuable feedback it generated.

Looking forward to the follow-up post and seeing what comes next—sometimes these pauses lead to even greater opportunities!

#LFG

No vote, missed this vote unfortunately.