Grants Funding Framework Discussion - How To Excel at Being a DAO

Here are some early insights from the Polis survey.

There is one majority opinion agreed on by almost everyone (77%)

ArbitrumDAO should set itself a spending limit

Group A had three statements which they agree upon that distinguish them from Group B

ArbitrumDAO should set itself a spending limit - Both the 1 voter against and one who passed were in group B

ArbitrumDAO should aim to have people buy $ARB to use for governance as a north star goal - Has 100% agreement in group A, but no one in group B agrees. Two in group B disagree while 2 passed.

ArbitrumDAO should aim to have people buy $ARB to use for governance as a north star goal - 100% of group A agreed while only 1 person from group B did.

ArbitrumDAO should pride itself in leading in DAO innovation and experimentation - 100% group A agree, only 1 person from Group B

ArbitrumDAO should spend less than 10% of it’s budget per year - 80% of group A agree, whereas only 1 person from group B agreed.

What group B felt strongly about

ArbitrumDAO should spend more than 10% of its budget per year - 100% agreement from group B

Next steps - Launching a JokeDAO contest

I’d like to launch a JokeDAO contest next Monday to procure submissions to community-source the best grants program framework possible.

The point is not that the winning submission will be chosen. There have to be another step asking potential framework operators to propose execution plans along with the budget requests for voting on Tally.

We would do this to separate the proposal creation stage from the proposal execution decision. Let’s source divergent ideas from the community, then have operators take the best ideas from the JokeDAO contest and remix them into something they feel is feasible to execute. They would also take responsibility for the results.

Framework for the JokeDAO contest

JokeDAO contests have a submission stage and a voting stage. Those familiar with design thinking principles will recognize this as a divergence and convergence process. First, we source all the potential ideas, then we converge on which of these ideas we like best.

Part 1 - Contest parameters

Here are some starting points for a debate we can have until the contest is launched on Monday, April 24th.

Who can submit - Anyone, literally anyone
Who can vote on submissions - Top 100 delegates
How will votes work? - Each voter will receive 100 jkARB

I will personally fund 1,000 $ARB to the winner of the contest. This is my skin in the game. If we create a fair and forward-thinking grants program, I’d likely be able to recover this in the future.

Why have only top delegates vote

It is difficult to do more than 230 addresses on JokeDAO as of now. This is why I would send VOTING tokens to the TOP 100 Delegates.

Why not use $ARB holdings to determine how many jkARB VOTING tokens they get. Because that would be more difficult and we don’t know if it would give better results. Also, since this is an information sourcing contest and not a vote, it doesn’t matter.

Feel free to reply with suggested updates in this thread

7 Likes