Return funds to those individuals who were affected by the webhook bot in the Dev-Announcements channel on 25th, March

around 22000 $arb, 15000 $usdc and some other tokens

1 Like

I won’t support a proposal. DAO treasury should not be wasted.

1 Like

I think arbitrum foundation should refund them lost tokens.

1 Like

These Discord scams have been around for longer than I can remember. You should trust nobody - if this were the official Airbitrum code or website that had been exploited, then I would have a different view. However, you shouldn’t trust anyone posting a link into a Discord channel without checking for spelling errors. I’m sorry, but it’s naive to automatically trust whatever is put into a Discord channel, whether it’s an official account or not. Double-check every time.

It really doesn’t feel fair that other users should pay for you not taking the time to double-check a link when interacting with a contract. Besides this would just let anyone careless trust any link in the future because they would be in this forum within 5 sec and demanding the DAO to pay back if they clicked a link from somebody who had the same name as a admin or such.

3 Likes

As this scam occurred due to the error of the Arbitrum Foundation and Discord team, I agree that a refund would make sense here.

The amount stolen by the scam was small overall but to those affected it makes a huge difference. Let’s start this DAO off right and not leave a subset of the community already bitterly left behind.

1 Like

agree. Reasonble idea IMHO

1 Like

You are not alone. I followed the link from the announcements on the channel and signed the message (everything was very buggy, and I restarted the browser, but all the funds were sent to the scammer’s address) I used to rely on the announcements of the official groups (because only the project team has access to them), now I believe No. I think that in this case we are victims. I’m attaching a message from the announcements. thank you for your attention.

1 Like

1 Like

Those official channel hacks have been happening for years now. Everyone should be aware of that. This is not a centralized bank where you can revert your transaction. If you don’t like it and are not willing to take responsibility for your actions then just go to your local branch.

Besides, it could be hard to credibly prove ownership of a hacked wallet and bind a new one on a case-by-case basis - it’s an incredible waste of resources. Otherwise you’ll just give more funds to the hackers.

I don’t support this kind of spreading several individuals’ mistakes to all community. In the end, somebody will have to pay or somebody will not receive a grant because of their fault. Not acceptable.

1 Like

That was soooo obvious scam lmao :rofl: It was clearly stated that the airdrop distribution was final. Those who followed the link have no one to blame but themselves.

1 Like

I think these proposals should not even be considered. Personal negligence must not be fostered this way imo. Only some cases of protocol hacks could be reimbursed.

1 Like

When we double see that announcement now, yes, we can understand it was a scam, but at that time, it was in announcement channel and tag everyone. People have the habit to click into the announcement and see what the link is. So, the key point is that, it appeared in announcement channel, that channel is for official announcement, not a normal channel or in any other place. So, I think they should be refunded.

2 Likes

The key point is that, it is an official announcement channel. The robot is set by admin. If the link is appeared in general channels by any normal person, surely we belive it is fake, but it appeared in an announcement channel. So, I think they should be refunded.

1 Like

I actually had not seen the announcement, there’s just red flags everywhere tbh. The “team memeber” having a BOT label being the most obvious one imo.

I had a quick look and I think maybe like 20 people felt for it, since it was deleted after a couple minutes but I still agree with @xenos on

Not a fan of his tone tho, not cool to beat a dead dog ser y’know

1 Like

I saw the announcement at that time. I just laughed and closed it. This kind of scam happens every week on different project discords. Anyway if a person clicks any crypto-related link they must follow basic security rules, and double check what they are signing, e.g. not give approvals for spending when they are supposed to claim…

This situation is absolutely similar to gambling. When people see a chance of winning they lose the sense of danger and ignore any risk management. Are you willing to refund every gambler who lost it all from your own or your organization’s pocket?

For example, my personal rule is that if I see any announcement that is not too ridiculous and requires a wallet interaction I wait for a couple of hours to ensure that it is indeed official. Any rush or pressure is a scammer’s number 1 friend.

2 Likes

I am a normal Web3 person, I support this proposal. Don’t let the users down.

I know this is different from the hack in question but i think i should be redunded, even if just partially. I put in the work, did the quests, racked up roughly $2200 in airdrop tokens and was robbed. Meta was hacked a couple weeks before the drop where another couple thousand was stolen. After a few days i realized i still basically had control of the wallet, i was there the second airdrop opened to try and beat the sweeper bot which is not that hard to do. Well the airdrop site would not load for hours, when it finally did i could see the hacker claimed all my tokens and shuffled them off to another wallet, i have a nice 4 page pdf file of proof including original hackers wallet, socials tied to the wallets and any other wallets my funds went to, i know arbitrum is better than this, i wont give my sob story but between the original hack and the loss of arb, that was about the last of my money, there has to be something that can be done.

This is exactly what happened to me. During airdrop withdrawal despite using the official arbitrum foundation site, all my ARB token were drained plus other tokens sent to the account. Please Arbitrum should kindly refund us. MUCH LOVE!

1 Like