Arbitrum side workshop at web3 Lagos Conference 3.0 2024

Arbitrum side workshops at web3 Lagos Conference 3.0 2024

Non-Constitutional

Abstract

I am proposing to the ArbitrumDAO to host a 2 day side Arbitrum focused workshops and an Arbitrum booth at the web3 Lagos conference 3.0 2024, in Lagos Nigeria.

The web3 Lagos conference 3.0 is a three day conference, scheduled for September 5 to September 7, 2024 (barely two weeks from today), approving this proposal ASAP will be very much apprecaited. The conference is been organized by web3 Bridge - “a tech company and community that focuses on training blockchain developers and web2 developers, fostering collaboration between the two sectors”.

This is a long shot but it bares repeating that the web3 Lagos conference is arguably one of the largest web3 focused conference in Africa. Bringing in over 1,000 developers from across major cities in Africa (and outside of Africa) for the three days of conference that will shape the course of Ethereum and the larger web3 ecosystem.

I intend to host (with a team of dedicated smart contracts developers, should this proposal pass) Arbitrum focused IRL workshops at the conference as this will give Arbitrum a strong presence (and the growth of Arbitrum ecosystem within Africa) at one of the largest web3 conference in Africa.

As mentioned in the second paragraph above, this is a long shot, putting into consideration the time constraints. And so a speedy resolution is needed on this proposal.

Motivation

Very few web3 conferences can bring in attendees from across major cities in Africa. This year’s edition will be the 3rd edition and the conference have had an average attendance of 1,000 people per information available via the web3 Lagos conference website.

I spoke at the web3 Lagos conference 2.0 2023 and the announcement tweet from web3 Bridge.

And I attended the workshop by the Ethereum Foundation at the web3 Lagos conference 2.0 on running Ethereum nodes - prior to this time, not so many Africans particularly in Nigeria were running Ethereum nodes. The result after the Ethereum nodes works, led to some people picking up interest in running nodes.

We can adopt the same strategy of hosting a side workshop on Arbitrum, leading to the attendees to building on the Arbitrum chain, contributing to the Arbitrum ecosystem, introduce attendees to Arbitrum initiatives and the ArbitrumDAO.

This will lead to a significant growth in the Arbitrum ecosystem.

As at the time of this proposal, there are no talks or workshops on Arbitrum at the upcoming web3 Lagos conference 3.0 with a current reservations for the conference is at 1148. See conference website here.

I think we can take advantage of this conference to strategically position Arbitrum within the African blockchain developers space.

Rationale

The growth of the Arbitrum ecosystem can not be separated from proactively getting involved in web3 communities. And through the years, the team at web3 Bridge have consistently onboarded developers to smart contract developers into the larger web3 ecosystem through their co-hort-based intensive trainings.

The web3 Lagos conference provides us the opportunity to actually engage core smart contract developers into the Arbitrum ecosystem within the African continent.

The web3 Lagos conference have some sponsors like the Ethereum Support Program, Lisk, Stellar.

Arbitrum can gain not just brand visibility but also bring in more developers into the ecosystem via this conference.

Specifications

The Arbitrum workshop is proposed to run for two days as a side event at the conference.

Day 1

• A look at the Arbitrum ecosystem and beyond
  • cover all things on building smart contracts on Arbitrum.
  • Writing Solidity Smart Contracts for Arbitrum
  • We will use the Arbitrum docs as a reference

Day 2

• Deploying Smart Contracts to Arbitrum Testnet

• Arbitrum Stylus

• Contributing to the Arbitrum ecosystem

• A member of the Arbitrum DAO or foundation can join to give a talk virtually since the timing for an onsite trip is very short.

• The Future of Arbitrum

NOTE: I am open to more topics and/or suggestions on what the DAO deem fit to be covered at the workshop should this proposal pass.

Steps to Implement

Upon approval of this proposal, we will use a 2/3 multisig address to receive the funding. The funds requested will be used to host and supporting the workshop, pay for sponsorship to the conference organizers (I had a conversation with the host and are getting a discounted rate sponsorship rate of $3,000 which is a big win for us - giving us access to set up an Arbitrum booth for the three days of the conference and the two day workshop).

Multisig address: arb1:0xb5323C93B11a9A3c3522eFf617dDDfA6d57597f1

Timeline

The event is scheduled for September 5 to September 7, 2024 in Lagos Nigeria. Reports will be submitted under this thread.

Overall Cost

Item Cost
Sponsorship/Partnership with the host of web3 Lagos Conference. (Package gives us leverage to host the two day workshop and a booth) $3,000
Marketing - Pre-workshop and event publicity $1,000
Logistics (Flight and accommodation for three team members for 5 nights, lead in, lead out day + 3 delivery days for a team of 4 food, Uber) $3,000
Team compensation for four members. Including post-event reporting $8,000
Arbitrum Booth setup(branding) and Swags $1,500
Total Cost: 16,500

About me

I am the founder of web3 Warri and I’ve been actively contributing to Arbitrum DAO. Under my leadership, my team organized a series of Arbitrum-focused IRL university events across three selected universities in Delta State Nigeria. This was in Q1 2024 during the DDA phase 1 program on QuestBook.

We are also currently participating again in Phase 2 of the DDA program on QuestBook organizing Arbitrum University IRL event 2.0 and hosting a hacker house on all things Arbitrum.

I am bringing in my years of actively building communities and organizing workshops into ensuring that the proposal is executed optimally leading to the growth of the Arbitrum ecosystem.

1 Like

In general, I support such initiatives.
However, I would like to see an annual budget allocated for such requests.
And some group could determine who gets the funds to promote Arbitrum at conferences.

1 Like

Thanks for supporting this.

Hi @charlesfreeborn , thank you for your proposal.

Given the tight timeline, I would highly recommend you explore other funding avenues like Questbook (Education, Community Growth and Events 2.0 domain) or the Pluralistic Grants Program by the Thrive Foundation. A typical end-to-end lead time for an AIP via DAO Governance is approximately ~30 days.

1 Like

Hi @cliffton.eth

First off, thanks for your comments.

I do understand that the notice is short given the timeline (we have approximately two weeks to review this) but I am convinced that this will be a big win for the larger Arbitrum ecosystem. That is why I gave this proposal as a long shot - it’s better late than never.

Also for transparency and fairness, my team and I are currently executing an ongoing approved proposal on QuestBook (Education, Community Growth and Events 2.0 domain) and so I want to give room for other proposals to get evaluated and be funded.

Given the timeline, if the DAO and delegates see value in this proposal, I think an exception can be made for this and reviewed ASAP. We still have two weeks lead time to evaluate this.

This proposal offers a valuable opportunity to boost Arbitrum’s presence in Africa by engaging directly with a key developer community. The Web3 Lagos conference is strategically significant, and the workshops can cultivate new contributors to the Arbitrum ecosystem. However, given the short timeline, it’s crucial to first gauge community support and ensure the initiative aligns with broader DAO goals.

1 Like

While Castle is enthusiastic about supporting initiatives that align with Arbitrum’s goals, we request further clarification on a few budgetary items.

Specifically, we would appreciate a more detailed breakdown of the following:

1. Team Compensation: Could you explain how the $8,000 for team compensation was calculated? We’d like to understand the specific tasks involved, the people who will be compensated, their profile and compensation allocation from the budget.

2. Booth Setup and Swags: We would also like more information on the $1,500 allocated for the booth setup and swags. What specific costs are involved in the booth design, setup, and swag production? This will help us better understand how the funds will be utilized.

3. Marketing: Could you provide an itemized breakdown of the $1,000 requested for pre-workshop marketing and publicity? We’d like to see what specific activities or channels this budget will cover.

4. Logistics: What is the breakdown in allocation for flights, accomodation, on-ground transportation and allocation for Uber?

A detailed breakdown will help us assess the alignment between costs and deliverables, ensuring the proposal maximizes value for both parties in a fair manner. We look forward to your response.

1 Like

Withdrawal of the proposal

I wish to formally withdraw this proposal as the web3 Lagos conference is over. The conference was held last week from Thursday, September 5 to Saturday, September 7, 2024.

In line with this, I will request that my proposal be closed and I want to thank everyone who took out time to make contributions and asked questions in this proposal.

One of the lessons drawn from this is to be more proactive and give the DAO ample time going forward for subsequent proposals.

Lastly, I did attend the web3 Lagos conference as an individual and it was insightful.

Thanks for your questions. Please permit me to pass on answering these questions as the conference for which I prepared this proposal is over.

I have formally withdrawn the proposal.