In order to improve the order and flows of governance on voting platforms and the forum, as part of the initiatives of a set of RFCs promoted by SEED Latam in collaboration with L2 en Español, we propose the creation of a new role within ArbitrumDAO, the “Governance Facilitator”. This role has already been successfully implemented on other governance platforms such as Decentraland and MakerDAO.
The governance of ArbitrumDAO is in an early stage, which provides an opportunity to establish roles and a robust infrastructure that allows for precise and orderly processes.
Efficient and transparent processes are crucial to scale governance and foster greater participation. For this reason, we propose the incorporation of the Governance Facilitator role.
The Governance Facilitator is a neutral person, working group, or institution whose goal is to help ArbitrumDAO and the Arbitrum Foundation work efficiently toward the success of Arbitrum L2.
Facilitators serve as a link between the foundation and the community. They must be aware of the governance processes and ensure that they are strictly followed. In addition, they must prepare reports, encourage community collaboration, and guarantee, along with the community, that the governance processes are robust and fair. Their role also includes promoting the continuous improvement of these processes and communicating any changes that may arise.
Given their position, facilitators cannot express preferences for the DAO’s political decisions, but their goal is to ensure process fairness, transparency, and timeliness.
For the incorporation of this role, we must take into account the following points:
- The position must be compensated, and several weekly hours must be established. This is a vital role.
- The Arbitrum Foundation or ArbitrumDAO can carry out the election of the Facilitator. However, the community should choose it. Note: The elections of the Governance Facilitator could be similar to the election of the security council members.
- ArbitrumDAO must establish a process for electing the Governance Facilitator.
- ArbitrumDAO must set a process for removing the Governance Facilitator.
- ArbitrumDAO can increase the number of facilitators as governance needs it. We believe that starting with one at this early stage is correct.
- The Facilitator has to be reelected in their position every specific period. We believe their role should be renewed every six months.
- ArbitrumDAO must establish the main tasks of the Facilitator.
The role of the Governance Facilitator is essential for ArbitrumDAO to scale. We also believe that the community should carry out the election of this role. However, we value the opinion and feedback of the Arbitrum Foundation, which we would like to hear along with that of the community.
This RFC seeks to gather the opinion of the DAO in general and the most prominent delegates regarding the role’s function and its election.
We invite all community members to share their opinions on this post, and we will be attentive to combining the feedback received with our proposal.
Check the other RFCs here.