September 2024 Member Election Phase

The Member Election Phase (the final round of voting) for the Arbitrum Security Council’s September 2024 Cohort, commenced on October 13th at 15:15 UTC. This phase will run for 21 days, until November 3rd.

Be sure to review the final candidates and vote for those who you believe will best secure the Arbitrum ecosystem :ballot_box:

Compliance Checks

Out of the 39 candidates who registered for this Security Council election, 13 candidates were supported by enough ARB (at least 0.2% of votable supply) during the Nominee Selection phase (first round of voting) to qualify for the Compliance Check phase.

All 13 of these candidates have now successfully passed compliance checks conducted by the Arbitrum Foundation, and have qualified for the Member Election phase.

The Final Candidates

During this phase, delegates will be able to vote on their preferred candidate(s), listed below:

How Does Voting and Vote Decay Work?

This final voting phase encourages delegates to cast votes early, as delegates’ voting power will eventually decay if they do not cast their votes within the first 7 days (by October 20th at ~15:15 UTC).

Delegates can split their votes across multiple candidates, with 1 token representing 1 vote. All voting is carried out via on-chain smart contracts, which can be accessed via the Tally UI, here: Member Election | Arbitrum Security Council Election

Member Election Phase AMA

On Wednesday, October 16, at 14:00 UTC, there will be an AMA on X with the qualifying candidates.

It will cover:

• Summary of the Security Council and the Election Process to date
  • Overview of the Member Election phase and timeline
  • Candidate introductions
  • Q&A

Here is the link to the Twitter Spaces: x.com (which is also on the ArbitrumDAO governance calendar).

What Makes a Good Candidate?

Choosing the right Security Council members is crucial to the security of the Arbitrum ecosystem due to the authority granted to them. Accordingly, delegates should elect candidates wisely, and consider the Security Council’s responsibilities and values, as well as key attributes to look out for when evaluating candidates, as described here.

There was a Governance Call on September 24th, to discuss the attributes that make a good candidate. This meeting recording can be accessed here.

What is the Security Council?

If you are unfamiliar with the Security Council, you can read more about it below:

Remember to Vote!

We’re counting on you to vote for the next cohort of Security Council members to secure the Arbitrum ecosystem! :saluting_face::blue_heart::orange_heart:

2 Likes

Tell me, have I not noticed this before, or is this the first case of VP decay?
Do you think it is worth putting to a general vote the use of such a tool as VP decay?
Why is it not used in other votings?

The previous 2 SC elections also had this vote decay function. It is mentioned in the constitution too: The Amended Constitution of the Arbitrum DAO | Arbitrum DAO - Governance docs

As you can probably tell, the SC elections have been designed to be a more robust governance process. The vote decay function in particular is to encourage delegates to cast their votes early, especially considering the importance of these elections in securing the Arbitrum ecosystem.

In terms of whether vote decay should be applied to other votes, I don’t see why not. It would be up to the DAO to decide though.

I split my votes between gzeon and Dennison Bertram at the Member Election Phase. I supported gzeon because of his deep familiarity with the Arbitrum codebase, which I think is important to have represented by at least one if not more members of the Security Council. I supported Dennison because of his strong technical experience and long-time contribution to the Arbitrum ecosystem via Tally.