Ways to keep an active community to create a trully decentralized space

Hey everyone,

I’m stoked to be part of the Arbitrum DAO through the airdrop! It’s amazing to see comments from folks from all over the world, as excited about this DAO as I am.

I truly hope we all stay active and help create a lasting decentralized space. We can learn from other governance experiments happening too. I believe the biggest mistake so far has been the high entry barrier created by complex and attention-demanding governance structures, which prevent people from participating as “layer citizens”. Althought it is necessary such complexity for the growing and safety, small but relevant ways for everyone to participate is essencial. Fair, decentralized governance is a complex issue that isn’t just for techies or finance pros to tackle. Everyone it’s important and no matter their background or the abbility to express themselve in English. We all have a unique expreience and if we all feel a part of the DAO, some positive system may emerge to change things.
What do you think would be a good way to keep people active?
Cheers and good luck to everyone.

30 Likes

…One good way to keep people active is promising proposals for the grants that will become available. We all need to pick the most promising ideas to find killer dapps and other proposals that increase demand of ARBI tokens.
(Education might also be a good avenue, constant and consistent PR campaign that explains what this is all about, why is it required and the potential future. ).

8 Likes

Hey @DrMath.eth, thanks for your post. As Arbitrum DAO is quite new, I think it’s important to be asking questions like these and find solutions that contribute to the long term success of the DAO.

I think in order to gain an active community, the onboarding process for potential community members (or potential contributors) should be smooth and effective in retaining talent and ensuring they can find where they fit in Arbitrum governance.

I really like Samantha Marin’s article on onboarding potential DAO contributors, she has a lot of interesting ideas on how to onboard contributors that I think would benefit Arbitrum DAO to utilise. I’ll be talking about some points inspired by this article.

The goal of onboarding contributors should be to ensure they have confidence [on where to contribute within the DAO] and knowledge [on governance purpose, process and communities/teams/workgroups in the DAO].

To achieve this, potential contributors should be exposed to all aspects of the organization.

They should initially be exposed to the purpose and principles of the DAO. Then, they need to understand the governance process, how to get from the ideation phase to the implementation phase. They should also have an understanding of the social structure of the DAO (who does work within the DAO, how work is being done in teams/workgroups, potential contributor possibly choosing a team to work with).

Most of these points are already explained within the constitution, however, where the constitution is located is probably one of the last places persons being introduced to Arbitrum DAO are exposed to. I think that potential contributors should be exposed to the purpose, principles and governance process of the DAO through a sticky’d thread on the forum and at least one read-only channel on discord (this is simple to implement, and makes sense to do so).

On the topic of the social structure of the DAO, this has a less clear solution. It may be worth speaking about this further, as it will allow contributors to understand the organizational structure and where they can fit in without becoming too overwhelmed by the amount of posts in the forum and discord.

11 Likes

I think the best way to keep the community active is to make sure that we keep the community going in the right direction. As individuals, we need to try to help others as much as possible, flag scammers and get them the heck out of here, and keep the ideas flowing :).

9 Likes

Thank you for your comments. I understand that there are no right or wrong answers, only ideas to explore and experiment with.

I agree it’s good for demand to grow for Arbitrum block space with killer apps, but token demand should grow toguether with incentives to hold. A DAO token should have a lower market value than the personal value for being part of a community that offers unique, non-transferable benefits. Incentives can be created to discourage selling while maintaining freedom . This ensures long-term sustainability.

Thanks for sharing! I’ve learn some interesting concepts like:
Self-selection and purpose fit : Culture fit can lead to radicalization and unhealthy alienation, while purpose fit focuses on achieving common goals.

Talent scouting is necessary, but it should seek diverse, hidden talents beyond digital, language, cultural, and economic barriers. Philosophical profiles with a broad knowledge range are also valuable. I recommend the book Range by Davis Epstein.

All members should read and discuss the constitution, as its values need to be actively pursued. These values are a clear purpose, and there is no long term Arbitrum without them.

I believe members don’t need to know every detail of the organization, just have a broad understanding and a comfortable space to contribute based on their interests (I’m following the end game plan on Make and It’d be impossible to me learning everything about MAKER, that’s precisely why the plan make sense itself). Many DAOs lack of porpouse for part-time, limited-scope members and that is a lose of very valuable knowledge and contributions for the community. In a tokenized DAO, there’s space for different degree of membership and even people holding a few token should be able to find value for them.

Sure! positive personal connections are essential for a sense of belonging. Samantha’s article name the term soul-to-soul connections.

Cheers!

10 Likes

Thank you for starting this thread, really refreshing to read OP and answers so far!

7 Likes

Sub-communities: Encourage setting up smaller groups that focus on certain topics like marketing, development, or research. This way, those with different skills can join in and make a real impact.

8 Likes

Let me say this: I have no idea at all. Just throwing out an idea here.

We could establish local communities based on regions, such as a North/South America community and a European community (and so on), just like governments in real life. Each community could be responsible for arranging events, communicating updates, and providing a forum for discussion among local members.

Additionally, these communities could have some degree of autonomy to make decisions that affect their local members. I understand that there may be some downsides to this approach, such as the potential for fragmentation and lack of coordination, but I believe that the benefits of having a more active and engaged community could outweigh the risks.

This is mainly just taken from my time in Binance as a “Community Angle” where we were assigned to our local region and helped to arrange events and to provide information regarding to our country/region and so on…

7 Likes

Fair point, and in which case, new members should be exposed to it as soon as possible.

I agree, and that should be sufficient. I think @Kramnatius.eth has a good idea to promote this

6 Likes

An alternative way to enhance community engagement would be to establish region-based local communities, similar to real-life governments. For instance, a country based community where we have American, African and European communities could be formed, with each community taking responsibility for organizing events, updating its members, and facilitating discussions.

Moreover, these communities could have some level of self-governance to make decisions that impact their members locally. Although this approach may have some drawbacks, such as the possibility of fragmentation and reduced coordination, I believe that the advantages of creating a more dynamic and involved community could outweigh the risks.

7 Likes
  1. What?

is dis plagiarism?

@CryptoNick

@Cryptvibez

7 Likes

To me this is Not an easy work for 100% decentralized DAO, however I believe ARB will deffinite go for this goal.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s chatGPT at play :smiley:

7 Likes

Something I have thought about is to promote different levels of votes, perhaps by snapshot votes of minor importance and that do not represent a major security problem for the DAO and another as Tally for the most important, it might be better to promote more participation and security.

4 Likes

most incredible community …
we are here to build Arbitrum Ecosystem

2 Likes